All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:53 pm 
YEWN-I-KORN
YEWN-I-KORN

will go here
I'll add more as I watch more.
If you have any to add, please do

1. Otesánek (Little Otik) - Jan Švankmajer [2000]
When a childless couple learn that they cannot have children, it causes great distress. To ease his wife's pain, the man finds a piece of root in the backyard and chops it and varnishes it into the shape of a child. However the woman takes the root as her baby and starts to pretend that it is real. When the root takes life they seem to have gained a child; but its appetite is much greater than a normal child.

Link to Video

Basically anything by Švankmajer seems to be great, and this one is my favorite so far. One of his shorts was in the things that don't need their own thread a while back, if you remember:

Link to Video

2. Zítra vstanu a opařím se čajem (Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea) - Jindřich Polák [1977]
Some futuristic Brazilian neo-Nazis decide to go back in time to give the A-Bomb to Hitler, but unfortunately the time machine's pilot just choked to death on a doughnut. Fortunately his identical twin can step into his shoes...

With a plot that starts weird and just gets totally out of control, this is a one-of-a-kind surrealist sci-fi that is recommended to all fans of the offbeat. A real treat!

Link to Video

If you like this one, try I killed Einstein, gentlemen. I didn't enjoy it quite as much, but it's not bad.

Last edited by bio golem on Tue May 5, 2009 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:29 pm 
on the cusp of something good
on the cusp of something good

Location: the eyes are perhaps a little overly large, but I like her :)
:truluv: :truluv: :truluv:
more

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:39 am 
evil!
evil!

Little Otik's pretty good, though I thought the end was a bit disappointing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:14 am 
evil!
evil!

valerie and her week of wonders

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:39 pm 
evil!
evil!

Yeah! That's a fucking weird film

Closely Observed Trains was okay

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:34 pm 
YEWN-I-KORN
YEWN-I-KORN

olive wrote:valerie and her week of wonders
Tobin's Spirit Guide wrote:Yeah! That's a fucking weird film
i just saw this one. fucking weird is right

Tobin's Spirit Guide wrote:Closely Observed Trains was okay
yeah, it was ok

This one was fucking great though. I watched it twice this week:
3. Spalovač mrtvol (The Cremator) - Juraj Herz [1969]
Kopfrkingl enjoys his job at a crematorium in Czechoslovakia in the late 1930s. He likes reading the Tibetan book of the dead, and espouses the view that cremation relieves earthly suffering. At a reception, he meets Reineke, with whom he fought for Austria in the first World War. Reineke convinces Kopfrkingl to emphasize his supposedly German heritage, including sending his timid son to the German school. Reineke then suggests that Kopfrkingl's half-Jewish wife is holding back his advancement in his job.
the vid below doesn't have subtitles, but i think it's better going into it not knowing what to expect so

Link to Video

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:43 pm 
YEWN-I-KORN
YEWN-I-KORN

4. Adéla ještě nevečeřela (Adela hasn't had her dinner yet) - Oldrich Lipský [1977]
When the famous detective Nick Carter visits Prague, he becomes involved in strange case of a missing dog and even stranger carnivorous plant. He becomes convinced that he is standing against his greatest enemy - the Gardener, who supposedly died years ago in a swamp...
This one was fun

Link to Video

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:21 pm 
YEWN-I-KORN
YEWN-I-KORN

I've only been half-watching this, but this girl's nose has stretched out into this long, mobile penes-snake looking thing and it's travelling all over the place.

5. Tři veteráni (Three veterans) - Oldrich Lipský [1984]
This movie is one of the best tales ever filmed in former Czechoslovakia. It is a story of three veterans released from the army. During one night spent camping in the country they one by one wake up and meet three elvish brothers. Each of the veterans is given a magic item - one gets magic harp that provides him with servants by wish, other one endless pouch of gold and the last one owns magic hat that can create all the staff excluding money and people.

These three guys travel, enjoy their newly acquired treasures until the time when Bumbac fells in love when he spots a picture of princess Bosana at her country's border. But king, his advisor and even the princess herself are so greedy of veterans' magic items, they decide to demand them as a dowry. When they put their hands on harp and pouch, veterans are jailed and deported from the country.

They decide to get their staff back - elves meet them again and present them magic pears. They get back, selling the fruits as mysterious sources of beauty. Greedy princess buys them and her nose starts to ashame all the elephants. In a while the nose's tip crosses the border of tiny kingdom and pays "official" visits to Austria, Germany, ... Three veterans now turn to three sages who get hired to cure the princess. Cure is composed of changing princess's character, returning the magic staff and eating one more pear.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:07 am 
/sneaky hand on thigh/
/sneaky hand on thigh/

title fixed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:07 am 
YEWN-I-KORN
YEWN-I-KORN

:deadpan:

PostPosted: Tue May 5, 2009 8:23 am 
YEWN-I-KORN
YEWN-I-KORN

again? :S

just leave it as is, thanks

PostPosted: Tue May 5, 2009 4:19 pm 
/sneaky hand on thigh/
/sneaky hand on thigh/

look i'm sorry i thought it was funny the first time, i guess i was wrong, but this time i had to change it because that new guy didn't get the pun and just started talking about donnie darko in here

i am sorry adri

PostPosted: Wed May 6, 2009 3:51 pm 
YEWN-I-KORN
YEWN-I-KORN

yeah yeah yeah i understand :limpyroll:

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:01 pm 
YEWN-I-KORN
YEWN-I-KORN

6. Lásky jedné plavovlásky (Loves of a Blonde) - Miloš Forman [1965]
Andula is a working-class woman living in a fading Czech factory town. After a party she sleeps with Milda, a member of the performing band who is visiting from Prague. A famous line is uttered as they are lying in bed afterwards. Andula asks what Milda meant when he said she was "angular." He goes on to explain that a woman is shaped like a guitar. "And you, you look like a guitar too," he tells her, "but one painted by Picasso." They part ways, and when she doesn't hear from him again, she packs up and arrives on his doorstep in the big city. Milda lives with his parents, who make quite a show when this unexpected visitor surprises them and throws their world into darkly comical chaos.
I didn't love this one the first time I saw it, but it has grown on me...a really nice film.

Link to Video

Link to Video

Also, the Firemen's Ball was quite good as well

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:18 pm 
YEWN-I-KORN
YEWN-I-KORN

this one was cute
7. Happy End - Oldrich Lipský [1966]
In this extremely strange Czech film, the grim story is told in reverse. The film literally runs backwards at the beginning as it depicts Mensik's severed head rolling back onto his body during a beheading. The protagonist is then seen walking back into a prison and out the front door. He then finds a suitcase on the sidewalk and brings it to his house. Opening the case, he begins taking out the body parts of a dead woman and reassembles them into the woman he fell in love with...

As it is filmed backwards it makes sense from begining to (happy) end and vice versa.

There are many interesting things to be told about the movie.

The actors have to learn their speaking parts backwards, and in postproduction it was dubbed so everyone can understand them.

Unfortunately Happy End becomed an underdog movie becuse of Prague Spring 1968.

Its tribute to silent movies and slapstick comedy.

Link to Video